The girls were of course thrilled, and Maddie even declared it a "winter wonderland"! Their favorite activity of the day seemed to be sliding down their slide and then landing with a big wet splat into the snow.
We were all a little bummed that it wasn't good snowman-building snow - they'd already planned out the whole snow family they were hoping to create - but it didn't keep us down for long.
Kevin's work was technically on a two-hour delay, but because he's a good daddy (and maybe because he wanted to play a little too) he took the whole day off to hang with us.
A bunch of older kids on our street were out sledding, so we headed out to watch them for a bit and give our girls a chance to join in if they wanted. Although we don't have any sleds or anything of our own, our sweet neighbors were quick to offer to share. Can I just say these are some of the kindest, most well-mannered kids of this age that I've ever been around? I think I need to spend some more time talking with and observing their moms (if you're reading this, you know who you are)! Maybe their good parenting will rub off.
Only Reagan ended up being brave enough to try a sled, and only once. I think she liked it but not enough to go again. Her sisters seemed happiest watching! We warmed up inside with hot chocolate and then made snowman cookies. As always, the best part of making cookies was eating dough and licking the bowl...
We ended up going outside three different times...bundling everybody up got a little monotonous at that point! Confession: I haven't yet bought any winter coats for the girls this year. (Grandmas, don't fuss at me!) Last year we didn't need anything heavier than fleece hoodies. Since that was all I had for them today, I just went with layers - LOTS of layers! I'm surprised they could walk. At least we had hats, mittens and scarves. They've been wearing them inside since November, so they were pleased to actually need them outside today.
Hooray for snow days....every once in a while!

No comments:
Post a Comment